Policies and Guidelines
The following policies have been developed to provide guidance to practitioners on the regulatory obligations under the Act. The policies and guidelines on this page are current. For further information, please contact the Board’s Regulatory Reform and Policy Team on 9679 8000.
Policies for legal practitioners
- Supervised Legal Practice Policy (230KB PDF)
- Continuing Professional Development Policy (254KB PDF)
- Fit & Proper Person Policy (191KB PDF)
- Mental Health Policy (239KB PDF)
- Foreign Lawyer Registration Policy (198KB PDF)
- Compliance and Enforcement Policy (512KB PDF)
- Overpayment and Refunds Policy (169KB PDF)
- Exemptions Policy – Professional Indemnity Insurance (203KB PDF)
Policies for law practices
- Prohibited Lay Associate Guidelines (197KB PDF) (See also FAQs – Prohibited Lay Associates) (454 KB PDF)
- Exemptions Policy – Approved External Examiners (154KB PDF)
- SDA Exemption Policy (42KB PDF)
- Exemptions Policy – Trust Account Regulations (195KB PDF)
- Appropriate Management Systems for ILPs (149KB PDF)
- Legal Outsourcing Guidelines (197KB PDF)
The following documents provide guidance on specific processes and operations of the Legal Services Board.
For further information about the documents the Board holds and how it processes Freedom of Information requests, please download the Part II Information Statements.